Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!! My name is Dan and I'm from Michigan. (If you place your right palm in front of your face, I'm kinda close to where your thumb connects to your hand. ^.^) Last year, I lightly thought about being a bee keeper... and now the bees should be here in two weeks. SO EXCITED. It seems like the more I read and prepare for the them, the more there is to learn and the more I get all gitty about it. I live out in the country, so space isnt that big of a concern. My biggest concern right now is if the hive location should be in full sun, or partial sun... Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! I'm off to dig a small pond for them today, the weather should be pretty nice, so should be a good day!!

Hope to learn lots and be as helpful as I can on this forum,

~Dan

·
Registered
138 Posts
I always try to put my hives in full sun because of the SHB down here. Not sure if you'll have as much of a problem with them up in Michigan though. I'd still try to put them in full sun anyways, they warm up faster and thus are more active.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey Dan ...Avoca ? Get out lol . I put the heating system in the school there . Full sun but you 'll need a wind breaker for winter . If your near greenwood you should have some great fields to pick from and any where near mill creek should be good too . I'm thinking of putting some boxes on imlay city road , some are going in off of wildcat . Welcome , good luck and feel free to pm ..Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You wouldnt happen to be Lukes dad, would ya? But ya, I'm like in the middle of avoca, emmett and yale!! haha I was surprised how many people I know/knew of that are closet beekeepers. Is there any place local that sells beekeeping supplies? As I am working outside (inside just getting some water atm) I have been thinking about these bees that were living in my siding all last year. I'm almost positive they are honeybees, but I've never actually like caught one and really inspected it... is there anyway I could like get them to swarm and capture them (If they really are honeybees of course)?

Thank you everyone for the responses!!

Dan

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have been thinking about these bees that were living in my siding all last year. I'm almost positive they are honeybees, but I've never actually like caught one and really inspected it... is there anyway I could like get them to swarm and capture them (If they really are honeybees of course)?

Do a search of Hogan's Swarm Harvester. I think it would be fun to try it.

Paul

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello Dan! Don here...I'm south of you a bit in Columbus... There's a place in Almont that sells everything... http://goldenharvesthoney.net/home.html

He even has Bees if you haven't ordered any yet. Not sure if its too late or not its my 1st year too.

I just looked at his website and he doesn't list supplies on it. Not sure if he just does it for the club or everyone. I'll find out.

The only club I found nearby is at 7 Ponds Nature Center which is a bit of a drive. If you know of one closer let me know and if there isn't maybe we can start one...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts