Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a first year beekeeper in Massachusetts. We have 2 hives that are pretty small. It was a package that split itself in the spring. Last week My brother found a hive in a scrub pine that he cut. I went and got the honey, comb, and bees (just a couple hundred at the most). It is all now sitting in a rubbermaid container in the backyard waiting for me to do something with it. One of my kids had opened it and our hive went nuts for it. It was neat to see them go and rob the other bees. My questions are how do I separate the honey and the comb? How do I kill the bees in there without ruining the honey? The honey tastes really good and the kids are having fun sucking it out of the comb and showing kids at school I would like to get the honey out and use it.

Thank you for any help and suggestions.

John King

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If there are only a few hundred bees in this feral colony, then just leave them outside in the container and the cold will kill them soon enough.

If they are actually clustered, you could take the cluster out of the container and shake them out.

When they are dead or gone, just take the comb a crush it and strain it.

[This message has been edited by MountainCamp (edited November 10, 2004).]

·
Registered
764 Posts
Wow Allways have a plan befor you do anything.Sounds like a small hive from the tree.But it may have been better to wait till spring to take the hive.Free bees are allways great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The package raised a new queen and then the old queen took off with a swarm. We hived the swarm after they landed and then we had two hives. That same swarm then swarmed a week later and we had to hive them again. This time they stayed. I didn't realize that there were bees in the tree until they started stinging. I have tol my brother that the next time that he finds a tree with bees in it that we will try an winter the hive in the tree. Then in the spring we will hive them if they make it.

I am hoping to get my two hives through the winter we fed them heavy in the spring and now we have fondant in the hives just to help them along.

Thank you for the advice

John King

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How does a package split itself?

They raised a new queen and then the ld queen took off with a swarm.

We hived them and then we had 2 hives.

They took off a second time and we hived them again and this time they stayed.

The next time my brother cuts a bee tree we will try and winter them in the tree and then hive them in the spring.

John King

G

·
> The package raised a new queen and then
> the old queen took off with a swarm.
> We hived the swarm after they landed and
> then we had two hives. That same swarm then
> swarmed a week later and we had to hive them
> again. This time they stayed.

WOW!!!! I am impressed! A new beekeeper
that not only notices, but catches swarms
is rare.

You may want to think about giving the bees
some more brood area to avoid the swarming
next spring.

G

·
To get back to your original questions about how to get the bees out and how to harvest the honey...

As far as the bees in there, I don't know if there is much you can do about that, I'm assuming that the comb was cut out and thrown in the rubbermaid container, bees and all, plus there was some robbing going on. You may just have to filter them out. If they are flying yet, you could try some Bee Quick if you have any.

This link has some info that may help
http://bwrangler.litarium.com/harvest/

-rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts