Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run double deeps and shallows for honey. Wondering if I can safely take the outer frame of honey from the top deep and replace with foundation. Would be doing this in July to allow for them to draw out the new comb and refill with goldenrod, aster etc. then I could use the extracted drawn comb for new hives or I could replace after extracting. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
You can extract it and put it back, just leave the spaces empty while you are extracting -- assuming you are pulling the frames, extracting, and putting them back in short order!

I would expect to have a shallow full of honey at this point. In fact, on my slightly older hive, I have three and possibly a medium full. If you have capped frames in the shallow, extract those instead of the deep frames.

Peter

·
Registered
535 Posts
I do something similar on a regular basis. On a start up hive that fills the top deep but never draws the super. I'll pull and extract 4 or 6 frames and put them right back on. I may have taken them from the sides but I put them back in the center. A few days later they will be full and partially capped. I take the remaining frames I didn't take before and do the same. When the flow slows down I stop taking them and they usually can fill it full by winter.

The Buckbrush flow here is slow but pretty long. The honey is excellent. I can get several frames of drawn comb filled but the flow isn't heavy enough to get comb drawn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts