Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was given a few dozen frames that are assembled with nails and are not glued. Would it be a good idea to knock the frames apart and reassemble with glue and staples or just let them go as they are?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't take the time and effort to do that. It would help if the side bars are nailed horizontally into the top bars. Maybe mark those frames and just be a little more carefull when prying them up from the frame rests. What kind of frames are they--wedge or groove top?

From Golden Bee supplies: "When assembling frames a final nail should be driven through the side bar and into the top bar to help prevent the frame from separating when being pulled from a super by the top bar."

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
That makes it even better for not going through the trouble of taking them apart,....imho.

When they are not glued, the biggest problem is when the bottom bars are attached to the top bars of the frames underneath by burr comb when trying to pry frames loose and pull them up. Not always a real big issue, but it does happen. Especially when a good nectar flow has gotten ahead of the beekeeper's ability to put honey supers on.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I agree with OLDBEE dont take them apart just shoot a staple/or a nail horizontally through the endbar into the topbar that will resolve the possible problem of them pulling apart under the stress and strain of prying.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
You might dip the corners into water, and while they are damp run beads/fillets of glue into the joints. And maybe add a nail or two where you feel it's needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts