Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much 2-1 sugar syrup do I get in filled deep frames? Has anyone made a refractometer reading on 2-1 syrup? Sorry for the dumb questions.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Here is a conversion table that someone had posted, its useful for mixing water and sugar.
You looking for the 65% area. Helps alot when feeding.

http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/convert.htm#sugarmix1

[ September 28, 2006, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: SilverFox ]

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mr. Bush and S. Fox. Thank you for suggestions. I liked all the info on the conversion table. I am new at this, [chat and forums] and also with computers. I have only 3 hives. One Carni and two Italian. I removed 7 beautiful,new foundation deep frames from 2 colonies and put them back for the fall nectar. I fed a little less than 2 gallons of 2-1 and was surprised [disappointed] that 3 of the frames I looked at had less then a third with nectar and not even full. I guess we haven't had a good flow here though I have plenty of fall flowers in my area. My question is [again]; 2 gallons of 2-1 syrup=how many frames of "cured" syrup regardless of where it is put in the hive? Thanks, Oldbee.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Not sure of what you are looking for, I feed just to help my girls through winter and definitely not for harvest, remember when you are feeding that they will also eat the feed, also remember that a full deep will weigh approx 80 pounds-so if you feed 2 gallions of 2:1 you'll be adding around 20 +/- pounds to the total weight (8 pounds per gallion of water and what ever the quainty of sugar), my math really stinks but you'll know how much sugar you added. According to that chart you used 17 pounds of sugar and ended up with a total weight of 26 pounds, so you'll need to multiply the end results x 4 to fill one deep.
I think that is what you are looking for???? :confused:

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
They will eat some of it, as SilverFox says. They will burn it up rearing brood, but it's good to have some young bees going into winter. They will store some of it and dry it down to 18% moisture or so (2:1 is about 25%). There really is no way to predict how much they will spend on brood, eat, or store. They will burn up a frame of honey and a frame of pollen and an equal amount of water raising one frame of brood.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi M.B. and Silver F. Well I think you both have "analyzed" my question to completion. I guess I will just feed a little more, [2 gal.]each hive and hope for the best. This is all new to me with "medicating and feeding" compared to 40 years ago when my family had bees on an apple orchard. I never saw "medium" supers then. It's all a lot of fun and learning though. I like this site and LOVE my bees; thanks, Oldbee.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts