Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've examined some old posts about this but didn't exactly see anything definitive re: all aspects of different concentrations for doing what. So -- once and for all --- I know 1:1 is given to mimic nectar in spring (comb-building and feeding?) and 2:1 in fall (energy only?). Does anybody have any other ideas about what's what? This early in the year here in eastern NC, I'm switching from 2:1 to 1:1, although we may have some cool-cold weather before May. And long days of rain. Should I mix-and-match (2:1 some times, and 1:1 other times)?. Would that confuse the Girls? Not help at all? Plus - :eek: -- I've heard warnings about over-feeding. Tons of pollen coming in, but I don't know about nectar.

I did splits this week -- now have 4 hives, each with 2 active/packed boxes, and each topped with a medium of "fresh" mostly-undrawn frames [some with foundation, some with comb, others not]. Should comb-building be a priority? I'm guessing that each "fresh" medium will be used for brood, since each hive has a deep and a medium, or is only 2 mediums.

Does anybody know of any good websites that go into headache-causing detail on this subject? Maybe I'm over-thinking, or ... not thinking enough.

Thx for any feedback .....

Mitch

[wow, these're a lot of questions]

·
Registered
613 Posts
Rest easy, mix 2:1 either by weight or volume, and feed it to them when they need it. Spring, fall, whatever. It works.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
As KRhodes states above, Randy Oliver's website did a study and it is worth reading. Any time other than autumn, I mix the syrup by volume 1:1. Making 2:1 requires the water be brought almost to boiling in order to dissolve all the sugar. Making the 1:1 requires only hot water from the tap, stirring and feeding to the hive. It is a LOT less work and takes much less time to make 1:1. Getting the bees to dissipate the moisture in the summer is not an issue. In the autumn it is a race to get the syrup dried down and capped before the cold weather sets in. There is less time available for the bees to dry it down so helping them along with 2:1 is what I do.

As far as feeding in the spring, if the bees don't need it, don't feed it. There should be plenty of natural nectar available for them already.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts