Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In mixing up a 1:1 syrup is it best to measure by volume as in 1cup water to 1 cup sugar or by weight as in 1lb water to 1lb sugar. Also what are opinions on the type of sugar. Thanks

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
White granulated table sugar only. I mix by volume myself. I don't think it matter whether you use volume or weight for the mix.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
1 pint (= 1 lb) of sugar to one pint (= 1 lb) of water; 8 lbs of sugar to one gallon of water. 25 lb bag of sugar to 3 gal of water.

·
Registered
939 Posts
"It matters a lot if it's granulated white sugar or anything else. Powdered sugar, brown sugar, molasses and any other unrefined sugar is not good for bees. They can't handle the solids."

Posted from your website, Mike.

Organic cane sugar OK ? Is it the complex carbs they can't handle or the impurities in it you're referring to ?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Organic cane sugar OK ?

I've never used it and I don't know how refined it is. It's the impurities that give us humans nutrients and roughage and give the bees indigestion and diarrhea. How much impurities are in "organic cane sugar"?

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you only want to make a gallon at a time, there is a very simple method that I have used.

Take a gallon glass jug and use a funnel to pour in a 5lb bag of sugar.
Pour in some boiling water so that it is about 2/3 full.
Shake or mix it so that most of the sugar is dissolved.
Then finish filling with more boiling water.

It is close enough to 1:1

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I keep a number of those plastic water containers that you can buy at the big box do-t-yourself stores. The ones that fit on top of water coolers. The plastic stoppers fit quite tight. I particularly like the square containers. I think they hold about 3 gallons of water. When I make syrup, I funnel the white sugar into the container and then add nearly boiling water. I stir a little with a long stick, stopper up the container and then shake like crazy. The square containers allow me to rest them on their sides and swish back and forth, turning every so often. Obviously, the mix differs from 1:1 or 2:1 syrup but I never worry about getting it exact. The handles make them easy to carry to the yard. The stopper never leaks and they're just about the right size to heft into the truck if I go to my out yard. Since we're getting close to package season, I'll add that I nearly always feed my packages and I always add Fumagilin B to my syrup to treat for Nosema. Since starting that, I have much better success with package health and especially queen acceptance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts