Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I poked my snout in the hives we started from nucs about a month ago. They're drawing out the foundation nicely. The drawn ones are full of syrup.

I searched for this answer but didn't find anything about it. I have some dry Mega-bee. We're past our spring flow here and the only thing I see blooming is the elderberries.

Is it advisable to add some Mega-bee to the 1:1 syrup I'm feeding them? They're pulling down a quart a day.

I want them to build babies so as to be strong going into the winter.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
168 Posts
I found it difficult to feed. It takes a lot of blending to get the powder suspended in the thick 2-1 syrup. I can say that it is wise to only feed in inverted jars as bees will drown
in any float feeders and SHB will go to town.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, I understand what your saying. One option (what I do) is to mix the protein powder (I do use mega-bee) with the surger, or a portion of the surger prior to adding it the the hot warter. In this way it is like making a from scratch custard. Failure to mix the surger and flower first will result in a poor outcome.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I often add pollen sub to syrup, and vitamins and electrolytes (from the feed store) along with vinegar or acidic acid (vit c). IMO it makes fat heath bees, better winter survival rate and more brood.

I don't feed very much. But when I do I want the biggest bang for the buck. A little in the spring to get ready for the flow, in the fall for winter or to build up small hives.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I have been using Joe Latshaw's mix on the same idea. His is a 1 to 1 Surup with some oil. Very soft. My nuc have been going through a scope a week. Plus Surup .
David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts