Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how could I preserve longer sugar syrup inside the hive? I have around 50 hives and I'm in south Texas. The syrup becomes sour after a week during the hot months and have to get rid of that syrup and feed again. Sometimes the bees leave too much and it all goes down the drain.
Cheers!
 

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
Joined
·
6,887 Posts
I use HBH to keep my syrup from spoiling. Some do not want to feed essential oils to their bees so bleach is a good option too. Does not take much, maybe a teaspoon per gallon to do the trick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
You can increase the sugar also.Low sugar will almost always ferment in the heat.The bleach option has always worked good for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,269 Posts
Lemon grass oil emulsified and added will get the bees to hog it down and stored properly for use. A scientific glug of bleach per bucket helps too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use HBH to keep my syrup from spoiling. Some do not want to feed essential oils to their bees so bleach is a good option too. Does not take much, maybe a teaspoon per gallon to do the trick.
Great news! Just to be sure, you mean bleach like clorox or cloralex, like the ones used for cleaning purposes? Never thought it would be adequate for bees!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your answer Michael. Do you know if feeding chlorinated syrup has long term effects on bees?
Cheers!
 

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
Joined
·
6,887 Posts
You use regular household bleach, unscented. As it decomposes, it turns back into table salt. Bees love it. Just don't over do it. 1 tsp. per gallon is just slightly more than MP's recommendation of 1 cup per 55 gallon drum.
 

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
Joined
·
6,887 Posts
If you use bleach make sure it's chlorine bleach.
It should list sodium hypochlorite as the active ingredient. If there is anything else listed other than water, don't use it.
 

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
Joined
·
6,887 Posts
Slowdrone, I don't know if you are contradicting me or adding additional information. Just for clarification, I spent 15 years making bleach for a water treatment chemical company. Chlorine bleach is sodium hypochlorite, NaOCl. It is made by reacting chlorine gas in a caustic soda solution and removing the considerable heat produced by this reaction. Both chlorine gas, Cl2 and caustic soda, NaOH, are produced from the same salt we use on our food, sodium chloride, NaCl. When heated, bleach decomposes back into salt water. There are other types of bleach on the market, oxalic acid being one.


Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,943 Posts
Slowdrone, I don't know if you are contradicting me or adding additional information. Just for clarification, I spent 15 years making bleach for a water treatment chemical company. Chlorine bleach is sodium hypochlorite, NaOCl. It is made by reacting chlorine gas in a caustic soda solution and removing the considerable heat produced by this reaction. Both chlorine gas, Cl2 and caustic soda, NaOH, are produced from the same salt we use on our food, sodium chloride, NaCl. When heated, bleach decomposes back into salt water. There are other types of bleach on the market, oxalic acid being one.


Cheers!
No not contradicting in the least chlorine bleach is what I use. Caustic soda and lye are the same thing I wouldn't give it to bees myself. Some bleach also has peroxide which I wouldn't give to bees either. Using chlorine bleach no heat is needed to convert the chlorine to salt not everyone heats they're syrup. Again just adding additional info.
 

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
Joined
·
6,887 Posts
Cool. You're right about the lye. Even after the bleach turns back to salt, there is a slight excess of lye in the water, enough to raise the pH. No worse than a bit of bicarb in a glass of water.

I am on well water so I add bleach to any water that has to be stored, like my hurricane water jugs. We also chlorinate the well once a year to kill any nasties in the pipes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,291 Posts
If they arn't taking syrup then stop feeding it to them.

I boil 2:1 and it rarely ever goes bad. I have some in a bucket from last year thats still good. I only feed in fall. No reason to feed in spring.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top