Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to slowly replace the old duragilt foundation to plastic foundation in my hives this year. Can anyone give me some tips on getting the bees to accept it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have used Duragilt, wax and plastic foundation. I have not had any problems getting them to draw the plastic. I got the plastic from Kelley. I always feed when they are drawing new wax

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Pierco frame user here. Waxed of course. I mist the frames with sugar water that has lemongrass in it. They pull it out just fine. Like mentioned before if you are not going to do it little by little make sure you feed.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have used the black pierco waxed plastic in my deep brood boxes. Like the others have said I spray/mist the foundation with sugar water. They have drawn them out fine. Why black? Thats all Kelleys has for the deeps.:D Yes the eggs are easier to see. I feel that a tad of lg oil might be benificial. But I don't think it is necessary. Kelleys has the white for my medium supers. No eggs to see I hope!!

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
For my Pierco frames, I melted some wax in an old crockpot and 'painted' a light coat of wax on the Pierco frames and the bees drew them out just fine.

As mentioned before, black frames make it easier to see eggs. Some people prefer white frames in the honey supers because they can see the color of the honey.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I started on white pierco last year. As stated above it was difficult to see the eggs. I guess this problem lessens with time as the wax darkens. I am expanding the number of hives I have this year and I am trying the black.

·
Registered
706 Posts
popping in plastic foundation Black the bees hit that hard drawing it out just do what the others said spray with surgar water and Honey B healthy and the bees will do the rest.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have used plasticell with good results. They come with a fairly heavy coat of wax but I usually add a little more anyway. I have only seen them in yellow though they may also come in black. They come in brood size. I have cut them down 5-7 at a time on my table saw for use in medium frames and then taken the left overs and used them as strips in medium and shallow frames.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tips. It does'nt sound as bad as some people say it is. I will start with my strongest hive first. They are talking 50's on sunday. That is roll down the window in the car weather in Minnesota. I think I will take a quick peek under the cover to see how the girls are doing.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've used waxed in the past, but this year I want to see if I can get them to work non-waxed, so that's what I'm going with. The sugar water misting is a great tip, it's always worked for me with the waxed frames, I'll let you know if it works for the unwaxed frames as well.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I believe that any help you can give will be a plus. A sugar water spray is easy enough, if I would have had any wax I would have rolled some on. Determining success depends on the results. Mine were slow to draw on plastic and I ended with a dead-out (60#s of capped honey tho).

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
When I first set up at my present location I had various frames with plastic. Most of my combs were of Pierco, some Pierco one-piece frame/foundation, some Pierco plastic foundation in wooden frames. I also had a few of these that had become, what I considered, unusable. These were twisted, gouged, scratched, contaminated with dirt and pebbles, etc. I had been using them as placeholders in hives, mostly because I was too cheap to purchase or build any new frames.

Anyway, for several years these frames were kept in the hives, other than being occasionally covered by bees they were ignored for years. Then one season their was an especially strong flow, every frame, no matter how unusable I thought they were, were drawn into excellent combs and filled with honey - I was astounded. The same thing has happened in more recent times with supers of PF120. If I place them on strong hives during a honeyflow they are almost always drawn out quickly, completely, and filled with honey.

·
Registered
706 Posts
to mention problems with durajunk, if the bees rework the comb on it its shot they won't use it again. i hate the stuff. wax or plastic simple as that.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Bestbees, another vote for Mann Lake PF's.:thumbsup: They are accepted well, living in MN you'll find that the shipping is reasonable and very quick. I've often had things delivered within 48 hours of ordering - they use the aptly named "Speedee Delivery Service" (a white van). if you buy several boxes they give you a discount.
Lastly, it seems Mann Lake has finally realized that the cell size may be a marketing advantage. This years catalog has it listed as 4.9 - the third bullet point down on the top of page 13. Michael Bush should be getting commission.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just got the catalog today. I think I will try it. The reason Im switching over to plastic is that I've been told duragilt is not real durable compared to plastic.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts