Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While inspecting the hive last week, I noticed:
a) Lots of bees and activity in the super I put above the inner cover for them to clean)

b) Some bees in the shallow honey super but only a tiny amount of nectar, the rest empty.

c) Many bees in 2nd deep, brood in center frames, capped honey in outer frames. Brood had a good pattern, was mostly capped, some larvae, no eggs.

d) Less bees in 1st deep. Spotty brood pattern, all capped.

I removed the "to be cleaned" super and switched the 1st and 2nd deeps. Was that the right thing to do? I'm hoping the lack of eggs is due to the fact nothing has been blooming, and the fact that I've been treating with Apiguard.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I removed the "to be cleaned" super and switched the 1st and 2nd deeps.
The switching (reversing) of brood boxes is normally done in the early spring to provide the queen with more laying space for the brood. Queens typically like to move upwards in a hive and by reversing the boxes you accomodate her natural instincts. At this time of the year in my neighborhood my bees are typically starting to bring in nectar from the goldenrod and begin filling the cells in the top hive body as the brood hatches out of them. This has the effect of driving the queen lower in the boxes to do her egg laying. As the top box fills with nectar, and later honey, this forms a layer of insulation over the brood which helps to retain the heat generated by the bees during the winter.

Was that the right thing to do?
In my opinion, no I don't believe it was the right thing to do. Now you have disturbed the bees inclination to prepare the hive for the winter and I think you should place the boxes back the way they were. My opinion, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, That's what I was afraid of (belatedly). I need to move the hive soon and I will switch the supers back then, From now on I will remember that the bees know best.

Which way to Beekeeping 01?

·
Registered
195 Posts
a) Lots of bees and activity in the super I put above the inner cover for them to clean)

b) Some bees in the shallow honey super but only a tiny amount of nectar, the rest empty.

I've been treating with Apiguard.

I thought all Supers used for honey extraction should be removed before treating.. empty one's too???

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I understand it, only if you want the honey for yourself. I took what I wanted (actually only 1 frame in the super put back to clean) and left them space (shallow super) to put their winter stores when the goldenrod bloomed. May end up with some stinky comb, but the honey is all theirs.

[ September 21, 2006, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Hobie ]

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There, I switched them back. I can only hope I have done no harm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts