Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wanting to get away from one piece plastic frames. Some of my bee jst wont draw them well. Ive had a swarm on deeps for over a month with feed on them constantly and still have the frames are not drawn. I have even coated them in extra wax. So im wondering if wood/plastic would be any different or if I should just do wax/wood. If i do wax/wood do I have to cross wire the deeps of will crimped with hooks be good enough? anyone else experience this and will leaving them on the plastic make them draw if or will they give up and refuse to drawn it. Whats drawn is good and strainght BTW

·
Registered
309 Posts
Did you let the frames get dusty or anything? I've had problems with older plastic frames.. Also , recently I started completely dipping the plastic frames they won't draw and it seems to be working quite well. To me , wax foundation works the best. I wire the frames myself and embed them with an electric embeder my great grandfather made. However Plastic Inserts are usually the best way to go for a number of reasons. Wax moths can't eat through them ... if the frame breaks you still have the insert ..

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
We are wood/wax. I can't get the bees to consistently draw the plastic. We use Dadant crimp wired foundation, we wire the deeps only, and use electric embedders. Mediums we dont wire, just crimp wired foundation.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
You need a flow and the bees need to need the room. No problems on wax coated plastic being pulled out. I place them between drawn comb towards the center and it works well. It is part of my integrated management plan to rid out old comb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts