Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first year beekeeper with one (soon to be two) hives. I am hopeful I will get a few frames of honey this first year and have been reading all I can on extraction. There are no beeks around here with extractors that I know of, and I certainly cannot justify an extractor at this point. I know I can crush and strain, but would like to build up a supply of comb.

The thought came to mind, can I just use a food grade 5 gallon bucket? It seems a single frame of honey could be scratched then placed in the bucket at an angle, with one end of the frame on the bottom and the other resting against the side. Then, just swing the bucket around in a circle, all the while avoiding dislocating my shoulder. After a (few?) swings turn the frame over and extract the other side. Would certainly not want to do it for many frames, but would try it for a few.

Will this work, or is it just another dumb question from one who has no experience yet?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well, it certainly sounds exciting. But if you are not in a hurry, you can uncap the frame using a long bread knife and place it over a large bowl and it will drain. Takes a number of hours, but works just fine. Cover the frame and bowl with some tin foil to keep out bugs and dust. After the first side drains, do the other side. You can drain the cappings with a wire kitchen strainer, the same way.

JC

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Why not just uncap a side and let it sit on that face and let gravity do the work? Then do the same to the other side? It'd take a little longer but atleast its something.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was thinking about something similar using pvc sheets glued into the right shape. I do agree that it is definately worth a video.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I can't picture how you would keep the bucket vertical and be able to swing it by hand.
However if you took something like a 2x4 and attached two 5 gal buckets, one on each end to the top of the bucket. Then suspended the 2x4 from a rope that was tied on a tree branch in the middle of the 2x4 and spin it by hand like a baton. The longer you make the two by four the slower you can get away with spinning it. You could also spin 4 frames at a time radially by rubber banding two frames on the side of the 2x4.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Actually the original idea sounds to me like it has a good bit of merit to me - simplicity for example. I think I might give it a try just to find out.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As soon as I have a frame or two I can take from my hive I will give it a go. I am curious how many swings and how fast it will take to get the honey out, as well as how completely it will empty the cells.

Will try to video it when I do it.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
How about secure the frames in a bucket or buckets, find a merry-go-round at a park and strap on the buckets, then push it like mad. It would be a good idea to not have children on board.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You could rig up with a ceiling fan but you'll need two frames and a really understanding and forgiving spouse if it doesn't work out...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll be that guy I guess.....You cannot just uncap a frame of honey and let it sit over a bowl and it will come out. Unless you have some really thin honey which I have never had it just doesn't work. Back to the topic I would love to see a video :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts