Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking in to bees for about a year or so. I live on just over 1 acre on the outskirts of Naples Florida. Read a couple of good beekeeping books, took a local class from the university extension and joined and gone to a couple of local beekeeping club meetings.

I have my first round of equipment getting delivered tomorrow so I will be spending some of my free time assembling boxes and frames.

I am looking to connect with anyone else in my area to learn the ins and outs of keeping. As of yet the local bee club is a little disorganized and haven't really met someone I click with to learn from, maybe its me... everyone there is nice but they do most of their online stuff on FB, I am not on FB.

I was pointed here from a Reddit thread so I will here gathering information.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Welcome! Good luck w/ your bees. Sometimes it takes a little time to click w/ beeks. I mean we’re not exactly a sane bunch, normal people don’t want to dig into a box of 30 thousand insects that can sting and love it! :D

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Ask if your local club has a mentoring program, ours does. That way you can get connected one on one with a more experienced beek. We have around 150 members in our club and more than a few are a little strange. After all, who in their right mind says to him or herself, " I'm going to go get stung today to see if I am developing a sensitivity to bee venom?"

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Welcome to Bee Source and best of luck this year with your bees.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I've been looking in to bees for about a year or so. I live on just over 1 acre on the outskirts of Naples Florida. Read a couple of good beekeeping books, took a local class from the university extension and joined and gone to a couple of local beekeeping club meetings.

I have my first round of equipment getting delivered tomorrow so I will be spending some of my free time assembling boxes and frames.

I am looking to connect with anyone else in my area to learn the ins and outs of keeping. As of yet the local bee club is a little disorganized and haven't really met someone I click with to learn from, maybe its me... everyone there is nice but they do most of their online stuff on FB, I am not on FB.

I was pointed here from a Reddit thread so I will here gathering information.

Thanks
Hello, I'm a fairly novice hobbyist, I live in Naples. What club meetings did you go to? I coincidently looked at clubs in Ft. Myers on line this morning. One of them does not seem to be very active.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
As alternative, you can contact the local apiary inspector for Collier County,

District 14 Inspector
Fred Howard Jr.
[email protected]
(863) 673-3140 Cell

and see if he can direct you to a local beekeeper that could act as a mentor. I think you will find that most beeks are eager to share their knowledge with a newbee.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The one I go to is Gulf coast beekeepers. They meet 2nd Monday of each month at the UF/IAS collier extension out near the fair grounds on Immokalee road. It is a little informal I was going to try to attend some of the Beekeepers association of Southwest Florida too, but Wednesdays are not good for me. Let me know if you are going to be at either one ill be on the look out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts