Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always swell just a little after a sting but this time my whole hand swole and even up my wrist and forearm. Why the sudden change? Only stung once on both hands

·
Registered
26 Posts
For me, the level of swelling often depends on how quickly the stinger is removed. If it stays in for one to two seconds longer than another, the difference can be substantial. I try not to move too quickly after taking a hit, but I do proceed as quickly "as possible" to get both smoke - and stinger out!

·
Registered
2020 6 hives
239 Posts
I am a hobbist who rarely gets stung more than once a month. That being said if I get stung on the hand or ankle I always take a benedryl pill immediately. Otherwise on the ankle I'll hobble around for 2 days. The antihistamine really reduces the swelling. So part of my beekeeping kit is water and benedryl. If I wait more than 5 minutes any sting will swell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was just kinda odd for me. Been stung several times but have never swelled like this. Just trying to see if this may be a steady progression. Don’t want my wind pipe to close off!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts