Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I understand priming and reading specific gravity to attain about 15psi in a bottle. But I am perplexed as to how I should go about making a "sweet" sparkling drink, as obviously the fructose and sucrose will be converted to more alcohol, and thus pressure. So how do these big companies make wines with liek a 6% alcohol and a good amount of dissolved CO2 (pressure).... I think a sweet sparkling mead would be awesome. Ideas? Links?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I believe the safest way is to use (small scale) korny kegs, and put your sweet mead under co2 pressure and bottle from there. The co2 will be absorded. The question how sparkling do you want it...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol. I always assumed sparking stuff was all 15psi. Even beers. except the wheat beers.. I think they're 20... I do have a beer keg if I could ever clean it out...

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Yeah, counter-pressure bottling setups is how the big boys do it. If you are adventurous, a few options exist. Ferment to dryness, then sweeten with non-fermentable sugars like stevia or something. Or, if you're a little more adventurous, carbonate by priming but once it's carbonated you MUST keep it well-chilled to shut down the yeast. If you're TRULY adventurous, prime and bottle as usual. Once carbonated, heat the bottles in a water bath to kill the yeast by pasteurization. If you've used quality returnable bottles, they should hold :lookout:. Don't overheat, use a covered water bath, and cool before handling!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts