Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't embed this video, but here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIVY11504PcY2sy2qpRhiMg/live

I don't have my inside/outside view this year (yet) because I'm working on some modifications to that box.

But this is just a good old-fashioned deep, full of drawn comb, waiting for some homeless bees.

When will a swarm move in? Place your bets, now!

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had 5-10 bees buzzing me yesterday afternoon, while I was placing the trap and setting up the camera, but I didn't have the YouTube channel turned on, so there's no archive of that.

There were a few scouts at 8:51 AM (camera time-stamp time, not YouTube time), if YT will allow you to scroll back that far.

The camera has motion-detection built in, and I can forward an email to anyone who's interested in getting a motion alert. Just PM me. But the email will just say "SwarmTrapCamera1," and you'll have to remember to click on my YouTube link (not in the email) to actually see the video. I can't figure out how to embed that link in the notification email.

FirstScouts2020.jpg

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
6:05 EST and there are several scouts. One was even defending against another. I can watch bees for hours.

My bet is March 2nd or before. Too much activity already!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm having some weird YouTube issues, so my apologies if the feed goes offline here and there.

I'm also seeing that the YT link in my OP is not clickable from a mobile client, so here it is in plain text:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIVY11504PcY2sy2qpRhiMg/live

It's 8:00 AM here in Los Angeles, and I'm getting some scouts already! I had quite a few yesterday afternoon; we'll see if it ramps up again this afternoon. I think I'm nearly finished with the modifications on my other box, so I should be able to get the interior/exterior views going again in a day or two. That will also allow me to do a time lapse of comb-building once they're in the box.

And there was a big rat on the box last night!

RatOnTheSwarmTrap.jpg

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have some high-quality scouting activity going on right now! Only 4-5 scouts visible on the landing board, but they're moving very deliberatively, and they're talking to each other.

And here's one more attempt to fix the link problem with mobile browsers.

edit: Nope. The mobile version of the site keeps attempting to "help," but it's help breaks the link for mobile devices.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oooooh. Big increase in scout activity today! Not just in the front of the box, but around the back corner, too. I think my cotton balls are too tall, and they're raising the back corner, so some of the scent gets out that way.

Here's another camera looking at the side of the box:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7FH1CCSdg1-W9mlJ52cceQ/live

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got 50 bees inside the box right now. 51. 47. 53. Anyway, approximately 50.

Quorum coming soon.

Of course that's what I said last year, and it took them another week to decide.

Maybe I need to put up another "For Rent" sign. That seemed to work last year.

edit: and the 2nd camera is now back looking inside:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7FH1CCSdg1-W9mlJ52cceQ/live

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't. I wish I did!

Is there a procedure for "reverse beelining" to find the source for scout bees?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just speculating but I wouldn't have expected it to plummet... maybe the swarm got caught ... with all the activity I wouldn't have expected them to leave that quickly.

Disregard! Back at full force!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just speculating but I wouldn't have expected it to plummet... maybe the swarm got caught ... with all the activity I wouldn't have expected them to leave that quickly.
Have you read Honeybee Democracy? When the scouts reach a certain critical threshold at the potential new nest site, they jointly agree that "This is the place!" and then they all leave, en-masse, to tell the swarm ball (or the mother hive, if they haven't swarmed yet*) to go to the new site.

If you look at my archived video from last year's swarm capture, you'll see a ton of scouts up until about ~15 minutes before the move-in event (at 30:00 YouTube scrollbar time), and then all the scouts leave. And then 10,000 bees arrive.

So scouts disappearing can be a sign that the move-in is nigh.

But not in this particular case. I don't know why the numbers went down for that short period of time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I saw one of Tom's chats once but honestly had trouble getting through the first part of the book. I'll give it a try. As for why all the bees disappeared ... keeping with the Democracy analogy ... maybe they are just having a rocky primary season?

Thanks for the link from last year, nicely done! Based on the rapid inflow just now I think you caught another swarm!!! Nice Job!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Arrival at 01:44:30 on the hard-to-see camera time stamp!

YouTube will archive the video tonight, and then I'll post a permanent link to the move-in event, and then a side-by-side like I did last year.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts