Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second year of keeping bees. I caught a swarm from a lady's mail box. Then got a call about some bees in the trunk of a tree, I am doing a trap set up on them. But the best swarm was late yesterday. We were going to town and my wife started yelling at my "bee swarm", so I stopped and turned around and sure enough there was a swarm on a road sign. I just happen to have my suit and a nuk in the truck. You can imagine the looks I got from the people driving down the road.
I know this catching swarms is additive, I will keep my stuff in the truck for now on.
Thank everyone on here for all of the great information, I would have never been able to get in honey bee with out this site!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good story!! I always find myself looking for swarms while riding down the road. I hope you gave your wife a big hug and kiss for spotting them and speaking/screaming up. Congrats. on the swarm and for the wife who supports your hobby!
Big T

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife goes out and stands around and looks at the bees when I am working with them. She has Fibromyalgia, and she does not like getting stung, but for 2 or 3 days she feels good and hardly any pain. She has told me that when I get my no. of hives built up she wants to start using some of the bees for treatments. I do not mind loosing a few bees to help with her pain.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm not surprised she had a good reaction to the stings. Lots of the old folks around here swear by bee stings to treat arthritis. Both are auto-immune conditions, so that would make sense.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got caught once without my bees stuff. I was out when I got the call. By the time I got home and then to were the swarm was, them had left. Now I don't go any where with out my swarm gear. I have a tub with everything and two five gal. buckets. I keep screens in zip-lock bags in each of the buckets. I also carry a folding ladder with me.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I went on my 7 swarm call in 21 days here. I have had them from at ground level and in a day lilly clump. all the way to text book swarms hanging on limbs. The wife doesn't like me hauling things with me everywhere, but it is going to happen. I carry a box, bucket, suit w/ veil n gloves, Bee vacuum, brush, hand snips, pruners, and wish I could have a ladder too. The rush is majical when you have them in hand isn't it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts