Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the rate I am picking up swarms, I may as well pull my swarm traps in. I am just about to the point that I have all the hives I can mess with. Picked up another nice swarm today.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Dang Chick, why don't you send those swarms up to D/FW? I have not gotten a call yet. We must be a few weeks behind you.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Lucky dog. I've gotten a few calls for cut outs but swarms haven't started up here. I've even got 8 5-frame nucs and a 10-frame nuc all with frames waiting for it to start. It's been raining cats and dogs here the last 2 days. I'm willing to bet the phone will start ringing as soon as the weather breaks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Picked up two swarms and a (walled) hive this week from the same yard.

Could two swarms (both) come from the same (walled) hive?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Dang Chick, why don't you send those swarms up to D/FW? I have not gotten a call yet. We must be a few weeks behind you.
That's good to hear though. They are a couple weeks a head of us. I was busy with swarms this time last year. Been kinda slow so far. Maybe next couple weeks will pick up.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Swarms seem a bit below the norm for this time of year, but it has been a cooler, wetter, spring than usual.

·
Registered
869 Posts
At the rate I am picking up swarms, I may as well pull my swarm traps in. I am just about to the point that I have all the hives I can mess with. Picked up another nice swarm today.
Bump! Good job Chick! I'm just going to start selling anything I catch from here on out. Figure I'll hive them, let them sit for a month then put up for sale.

Craig

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked up another swarm yesterday. No activity around the swarm traps, though. It always seems that the bees swarm on the fist or second day after bad weather, here. Yesterday and today was such a day, but no calls, other than cut outs, which I am not interested in doing.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Just curious, but has anyone ever went and picked up a swarm after dark? I picked up a cluster on a tree this last week in the cold and rain, no problems what so ever, I think they were actually happy to see a place out of the rain, hardly any took flight.

Craig

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I picked up one in the dark, last year. But, a street light was close. Some flew, but mostly, they crawled.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Just curious, but has anyone ever went and picked up a swarm after dark? I picked up a cluster on a tree this last week in the cold and rain, no problems what so ever, I think they were actually happy to see a place out of the rain, hardly any took flight.

Craig
Since I get home at about 5, get the call, load up the car, and drive out, it's usually right about dark when I'm popping them into a nuc!

Don't forget to get on swarmlists if you need swarm calls either!

findabeekeeper.com
ebeehoney.com
honeyrunapiaries.com

·
Registered
812 Posts
Must be weather related. I have two good cut-outs but only one swarm call. In a farmer's field and he was worried about his cows. Trouble was they were 60 miles away. I told him the cows would be safe and bees would leave within a couple of days. Maybe I need to drive to NH and send a few days. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts