Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first year of bee keeping and I hear a lot about bees swarming. Why don't you put something like a queen excluder at the entrance so the queen does not get out. Will that stop the swarm?

What do you do to try and stop a swarm ? Or is that something that will always happen?
Brooklyn

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
An excluder-covered entrance will not prevent a swarm from leaving the hive because a "swarm queen" has been on a forced diet and exercising, she is small enough to pass through the "excluder".

Even if for some reason old queen cant leave (wings clipped) an new virgin will hatch an lead the swarm.

Best way to "prevent" the urge to swarm is making sure the bees always "think" they have plenty of room, and have a "young" queen present.

Swarming will "always" happen "sometimes" :)

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
The two issues are that drones can't get through, so they get stuck and clog the "entrance guard" (yes, they sell them) and if they raise a virgin queen, she can't get through to mate. A virgin has the same size thorax as a laying queen, and it's the hard, inflexible, thorax that keeps a queen from getting through the excluder, not her soft abdomen.

Trust me, it's a disaster.

What the device is usually used for is controlling a drone population by limiting the hives that contribute drones.

For swarm control:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts