Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hived 4 swarms in the past 2 weeks. 2 on solid bottoms and 2 on sbb. The 2 on sbb stayed about 2 days and left, the 2 on sbb are still there and setting up shop. All were treated the same. I think from now on i'll put all swarms on sbb. anybody else noticed this or is this just a fluke?

Vance

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
When I catch them I put them on a solid until the queen starts relaying. Then I will switch them to a sbb (most of the time). I have had a couple to where I am guessing the queen was a virgin. When she came back she went underneath and that’s where they started to set up shop. Either that or she just wondered out of the hive and got under the screen. Oh and new swarms like it nice and dark.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The 2 on sbb stayed about 2 days and left, the 2 on sbb are still there and setting up shop.
Vance, can you clarify which is which here? You call them both "sbb". :scratch:
I'd like to know, sounds interesting! I just installed two hives with open screen bb's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the confustion. The swarms placed on the solid bottoms are still there. The 2 placed on screened bottoms both left. The screened bottoms were open when they were put in.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have hived 4 swarms in the past 2 weeks. 2 on solid bottoms and 2 on sbb. The 2 on sbb stayed about 2 days and left, the 2 on sbb are still there and setting up shop. All were treated the same. I think from now on i'll put all swarms on sbb. anybody else noticed this or is this just a fluke?

Vance
I'm confused I guess. The swarms left on screened or solid?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
1/2 the swarms I caught this year left. Both type bottom board, & they all had one frame at least partially drawn. 2 out of 5

Mine all left the following afternoon from being hived. I got to watch both of them leave.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Try placing a queen excluder on the bottom board after you see the queen march into the hive. I like to take a sheet and put down in front of a hive and let the bees start marching in so I can see the queen. You can take a board or something to prop up for a ramp for them to go up into the hive. I have never lost a swarm. This works for drawn and undrawn frames and screened and solid bottom boards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts