Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was putting wet supers back on after extracting and happened across swarm cells in one of my hives. What do I do with them this late in the year? do I perform an artificial swarm? Seems late to start an new colony but do I have any other option other than let them swarm?

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Found three cells in one of my hives also. The first two about two weeks ago. Been watching for a swarm but haven't seen or heard one yet. Earlier this week I found a third cell that was capped (the first two weren't capped) but still no swarm activity. I'm home just about all day during the normal swarming times but nothing. Could it bee all the cooler weather and rain we've been having lately? Been in the 70s here this past week when it's normally in the high 90s. Rain or sprinkles or heavy clouds just about every day this week. The hive was also a swarm in April of this year.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
"Late" depends on where you are located. I made up a split yesterday with swarm cells. It certainly isn't too late for them here. This was in a hive that I work monthly given its location and there was plenty of room for the queen to lay a month ago. Time has a way of changing things. This hive was extremely full of bees and brood and nectar. The one honey super I had given them (which seemed unnecessary a month ago) was full and capped completely. The other honey supers I had added in this yard were empty.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
The queen cells I had were swarm cells, on the bottom of the frames. As an update, I had put a cotton ball with lemongrass oil on it on a limb of an apple tree near my hives. This morning about 1015 am local, I noticed something odd about the limb. Checked it out and there was a small swarm about the size of my fist on the cotton ball. Put them in a 5 frame medium nuc with partially drawn comb on three frames, a fully drawn frame, and added a frame of mostly capped brood from another hive. Put a pint jar of 1:1 sugar syrup on top and set them in the apiary. Time will tell what happens, but I need a queen for a trap out I'm working in case I don't catch the queen at that location.
The brood pattern in the original hive I have is real solid also, so I'm not sure why this hive is swarming either. They have extra room also and are not honey bound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts