Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday was the first day in a couple weeks that the weather was good enough to get into my hives. When I went to the first hive it was starting to swarm. There were a lot of bees on the ground and on the hive. I smoked them good and they all re-entered the hive. I then opened the hive and found many capped swarm cells. I could not find the queen so I pulled a frame with a queen cell plus two frames of brood and placed them in a nuc. If the queen was present, I can not be sure if she was on a frame that I moved. Fast forward today. This hive swarmed again. Again there were a lot of bees on the ground and they also clustered on the bottom of the hive. The many bees that were in the air clustered about twenty feet from the hive. I assumed that I might have two swarms at the same time. I decided to let them settle before hiving them. I went into the house for about 5 minutes. When I returned the cluster on the hive was gone. I don’t know if they flew off or re-entered the hive. I checked around but could not find this cluster. I hived the other swarm. Has anyone had an experience like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Swarms can stick around for minutes or days. I doubt they reentered the hive based upon your description. Don't let the weather hold you back from management because as you now know, bees are on there own time schedule:D Have you addressed the mother hive?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts