Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my hives has many bees covering the front of the hive and has a small ball of them underneath. They swarmed maybe a week or two ago. I’ve read the difference between bearding and swarming, that being the bees are usually calm and not moving a lot if it’s bearding. But I’m not sure how much “not moving a lot” actually is. There was maybe 10 bees flying around this mass, which is normal activity around the entrance. I have a photo here, this was taken late afternoon. Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
That is definitely bearding and I bet you are using a solid bottom board. Bearding wont hurt anything and is a natural behavior, just the bees are not doing anything either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reassurance, the only reason I lost some confidence in my judgement was that the last time that hive did that, I checked on them some point after, I noticed they had swarmed. I must’ve just missed seeing them swarm. And yes, I am using a solid bottom board. I am using those because I was able to make the bottom boards in my woods class (and the rest of my equipment). Too bad I can’t do that anymore XD

·
Registered
138 Posts
How long since they swarmed? I wouldn't be surprised if you're looking at cast swarms. Put your ear to the side of the brood box and listen for virgins piping.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My bees have been doing this too since it started getting really hot in my area. If they are swarming, they fill the air, its like a bee-hurricane.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts