Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a silly question, but is a hive that is about to swarm more aggressive to disturbance. I realize there are more bees present and therefore might produce alarm scent, but are they more aggressive like they are during drought.

Just have not been around enough hives about to swarm to know.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Mine weren't this year, in fact they were quite docile. Much nastier the next day when I went looking for a queen, though!

Peter

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The one I had that swarmed on me was normal as could be. Even after they swarmed they were very calm and easy to get along with. Did 3 splits from that hive to take out the Swarm cells and didn't set the hive back any, nor change it's mood..

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks. I know mine have swarmed, but have missed them because I do weekly checks. Was wondering because I have two hives that are getting just down right grumpy and getting full of bees. They both probably need another super added.

But they are good producers even if they are mean.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
In your location there is always the possibility of africanization. However, bee do become more defensive of their stores during a drought, as well as during dearth. Be sure you are not confusing defensive behavior with aggression.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts