Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done 2 splits on this one hive already.One,a month and a half ago,and the other two weeks ago.I got in the hive this morning and found there is 5 queen cells on the upper comb of one of the frames.I have a queen in there because there is fresh brood,plenty of it!!Do I need to do another split or leave those.I have heard when they are on the upper frame that they may be doing a supercedure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had this same issue earlier this year. I removed the Queen cells and ended up Queenless. A fellow beekeeper then caught a small swarm with a Queen and gave it to me to combine with the Queenless colony. Checking it yesterday, I found fresh brood and eggs so I know a Queen is actively laying, but there are five queen cells on the bottom of the frames and two up high on drawn comb. I'm going to leave them there this time and let the Bees decide who they want for their Royalty. I just don't want to end up Queenless again. This is in a sigle deep that I'm going to add a medium on today to expand the brood chamber to cut the off chance that they are getting ready to swarm. I take it that your colony is at capacity of the hive box?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
If the cells are attached to the side or face of the comb and not on the bottom of the comb they are supercedure cells. If they are supercedure cells I would be inclined to leave them alone. If there are a one or two capped cells and the rest are uncapped with larvae, then I would consider removing the capped ones since this could indicate they were started with older larvae than the others and result in an inferior queen emerging first, this will force them to turnaround and supercede again creating more of a setback for them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts