Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed two packages of bees 2 days ago. The one with a live queen was released by the bees but they have all left.

The other package with a dead queen is jumping. They don’t seem to be attending the dead queen in her cage any longer.

I checked the dead queen hive for a queen in case she moved over to that hive. I found a couple of drones but didn’t see a queen. Of course I may have missed her.

The supplier is sending another queen. I’m confused any ideas?

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
616 Posts
I installed two packages of bees 2 days ago. The one with a live queen was released by the bees but they have all left.

The other package with a dead queen is jumping. They don’t seem to be attending the dead queen in her cage any longer.

I checked the dead queen hive for a queen in case she moved over to that hive. I found a couple of drones but didn’t see a queen. Of course I may have missed her.

The supplier is sending another queen. I’m confused any ideas?
What is in the hive that the bees left? You don't think you couldve accidentally gotten any chemicals in there do you?
The hive with the dead queen sounds like a normal response. Hopefully you can get a new queen in there and they accept her being that they are hopelessly queenless. Hope it doesnt take the supplier long to get you a new queen. They could start a laying worker.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suppose to be a new queen here Monday?

Couldn’t be chemical. I left the alive queen in the hive. I placed the box of bees on top of the frames. I put another hive box over that and the top. She was still behind the candy plug when I put her in and she had many attendants.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
616 Posts
Suppose to be a new queen here Monday?

Couldn’t be chemical. I left the alive queen in the hive. I placed the box of bees on top of the frames. I put another hive box over that and the top. She was still behind the candy plug when I put her in and she had many attendants.
For the bees to release her from her cage then just up and leave the box. They must've either found a better place for a hive or really did not like the box you had them in.
Now the other question. How are you going to handle the new queen coming in?
Do you have more bees?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one hive from a swarm that I’m sure has a queen. The one I installed with the dead queen is where I plan to put her.
I am worried the live queen moved to that box. I need to look again real good.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Packages are known to abscond. They are usually a bunch of bees shook from numerous hives with a queen unknown to them inserted. As such, they are not a colony with a purpose at that stage.
Many have better success if they close screened bottom boards and place a queen excluder on the bottom board until the hive is "locked in" by the queen being accepted and laying. Some will close up the hive for a few days with a ventilated opening. I would not consider this unless it was cool and cloudy. J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts