Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first year rookie so I may have lots of questions but my main one is this. I checked my 8 frame hive the other day which had been very active and found only maybe 100 bees left in the hive. This was a new hive last spring with about 13,000 bees. I have checked the frames and see no new Queen cells and no eggs. Should install a new queen or just write it off?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
the thread title says swarmed hive do you know for a fact they swarmed?

IMO installing a new Queen on 100 bees is not going to work, they need to be well on the way toward winter stores being saved.

Do you have other hives?

GG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the thread title says swarmed hive do you know for a fact they swarmed?

IMO installing a new Queen on 100 bees is not going to work, they need to be well on the way toward winter stores being saved.

Do you have other hives?

GG
I'm assuming they swarmed as i'm not finding any dead bees around or in the hive. I do have another hive next to this one that seems to be doing well.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
:)
ok
Advice on a swarmed hive failing to requeen is different than a shrinking one.

normally after swarm there is more than 100 bees, likely a 1/3 would remain.

Seems to me unless you had some inspections proving different , the queen failed and the replacement also failed to work out, could have swarmed first.

I would shake them out , freeze the comb for 2 weeks, if needed and use it on the other hive, maybe in the spring you can split it.

the comb should be good, and has value.

GG

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
You have experienced what is known as an "Abscond" where the colony leaves for a new location leaving little or no brood, and no attempt at raising another queen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts