Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I had a swarm today, and for the first time ever- I got it!

The hive (I believe was the one) that swarmed still has a cluster, and It's been over 3 hours. The weather is only in the 60s. I'm in Louisville, KY.

I did not spot the queen when I put the swarm into it's new home, but the swarm was pretty darn big.

Attached is the photo of the original hive, that has the cluster still.

(I feel like a total idiot for not opening that entrance more, that's been taken care of :doh:)

IMG_0678.jpg

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,739 Posts
Hi All,

I had a swarm today, and for the first time ever- I got it!

The hive (I believe was the one) that swarmed still has a cluster, and It's been over 3 hours. The weather is only in the 60s. I'm in Louisville, KY.

I did not spot the queen when I put the swarm into it's new home, but the swarm was pretty darn big.

Attached is the photo of the original hive, that has the cluster still.

(I feel like a total idiot for not opening that entrance more, that's been taken care of :doh:)

View attachment 54737
Sweep them into a hive, this is likely another swarm. Later you can look thru for a queen, combine if one is not there.

GG

·
Registered
185 Posts
Are you using a screened bottom board?

I had a problem with masses of bees clustering under the screened bottom boards of some of my hives. I tried everything to get them back in the hives but they would not stay. They preferred clustering under the screened bottom board. I assume they could smell the hive odors and either thought they could get into the hive from the bottom or they were just content to hang out there. I finally solved that problem by blocking off the screens on all my hives. Now I only buy solid bottom boards.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do use screened bottom boards, but never had a problem before. I just replaced the one on that hive about a month ago because they made some kind of secret tunnel on that side of the bottom board lol! They were definitely tightening the cluster as the day moved on, so I put them in a nuc. It's strange that it seems a second queen came out of it... Dunno.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,887 Posts
I had a recent experience where a mated and virgin queen came out of the same swarm. Gray Goose gave you good advice. I have also had returned mated queens set up house under a screened bottom board, about the only negative I can find for their use in warm climates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts