Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my hives swarmed yesterday while I was at work (neighbor saw it). They were gone before I got home. Upon inspection, I saw no supersedure or swarm cells, larvae or eggs, and VERY few capped brood. Granted, I hadn't dug through the brood boxes lately, but wouldnt there be evidence of Qcells of SOME kind since they just swarmed? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
maybe they absconded, have you checked your mite loads? Sometimes they just leave, or maybe this is an after-swarm from the first. Could they have a virgin in the hive waiting to get mated? Are there any bees left or did ALL of them leave??

·
Registered
206 Posts
My observation hive obsconded the other day because of Small Hive beetles, I couldent see any sign of them on the comb, but when I opened it up there were tons of beetles and beetle lava in every tiny crack.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, actually I haven't checked for mites in a month or more.
About half the bees are left, but what I found puzzling was that if half the hive swarmed I would think I would see evidence of some queen cells of some sort.
I didnt see any blatent evidence of SHBs, but will look tomorrow.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had a hive swarm this year with no queen cells. I just inspected them two days prior, no mites. I think a lot of times swarms happen without queen cells.

It was my carnolions that did this, then the same hive swarmed again two weeks after making a new queen. This 2nd swarm screwed themself as they were not successful making a new queen.

Genearly I would give them a frame of eggs/brood from another hive once a week for three weeks, or unless I see queen cells. However, I just combined this hive with another swarm I captured two weeks ago.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If the bottom corners of your frames aren't fully drawn out, they can tuck a cell up in the cavity that can be easily missed if not looking good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts