Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My swarm landed on someones tree. Will they stay there or move elsewhere?

Also, why there is like 5 more swarm cells present in the hive? Does it mean it is bad breed?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Uhhh., go capture them & they won’t move? More importantly, you don’t want them to move into your neighbors structure, or yours for that matter:D Once a hive swarms there are multiple Q cells left behind (you probably didn’t see some). Swarming could have something to do with the genetics, but I would first examine my management before I blamed the breed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Uhhh., go capture them & they won’t move? More importantly, you don’t want them to move into your neighbors structure, or yours for that matter:D Once a hive swarms there are multiple Q cells left behind (you probably didn’t see some). Swarming could have something to do with the genetics, but I would first examine my management before I blamed the breed.
Exactly so: find the reason for the swarm. I just had a hive swarm thrice after a split, and found them to be honeybound during the blackberry nectar flow. This was negligence and lack of experience on my first-year-beekeeping part but would have been preventable. Find the reason they swarmed. By the way, I caught two of those swarms and hived them. I think the bees do what they need to do when beekeepers don't do what they need to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts