Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. Just found a swarm, and I am very new at beekeeping. I did not have a 9 5/8 brood box so I put them in a 6 5/8 honey super with new frames. My question is, is it too late for them to get ready to survive the winter? IF not is it possible for me to switch them to a 9 5/8 box. I will have one ready by tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
many beekeepers are deliberately swiching to the 6 5/8 "medium/illinois/western" boxes to reduce the weight. you can swich to 9 5/8 by just dumping them in it. if you feed them, inspect them regularly, get a good beginer book (your library will have one or will get one from another library) and study it, you have an excellent chance for success. join your local bee club, and take whatever classes you can find.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
Also I would use two mediums, makes it so much easier on the back. Make sure you give them lot's of feed to draw out that comb and get the comb filled up with feed. The Backyard Beekeeper is an EXCELLENT resource and is available through the A.I. Root company and through numerous other resources. Welcome to the world of beekeeping!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
It's early enough yet so if they have a good queen you will be ok. Don't shake them out of the super you have them in. Put the deep on top of that super and put feed on them if there is no flow. If you have rainy weather coming I would give them syrup anyways.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Tap--

Lots of people start splits this time of year, so if you're willing to feed them they have a great chance. If you haven't read any beekeeping books yet, grab some. (Backyard Beekeeper was already mentioned... I also like the new 2009 Beekeeping for Dummies)

Just feed them 1:1 sugar syrup at least until they have the comb drawn out, or until they quit taking it if you're already past your local nectar flow.

If you don't have a feeder, grab an empty mayonaise jar, fill it to the brim with sugar syrup, poke several tiny holes in the lid, screw it down tight, and turn it over. Once it stops dripping put it over the hole in your inner cover (if you have one--put over the frames in a corner if you don't have a cover ready) and refill as necessary.

1:1 syrup = one part water and one part sugar--weight and volume are about the same so you can measure it or weigh it.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts