Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I caught my first swarm; it came from one of my hives not sure which one of the three it came from. The swarm only went about 3 feet away and landed inside of an empty brood box that was turned on its side. The question I have is should I close the opening of the hive I put the swarm in? Should I use an entrance reducer? Catching the swarm was really exciting.

Thanks
Jay T

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
treat'em like a new package-reduced entrance,one brood box(til full)and feed. good luck,mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
not to be a kill joy, but if you caught your own bees. then all you did was capture your own swarm which really isn't a swarm if they were your own. just kidding around with ya, but congrats on NOT losing any bees.

·
Registered
281 Posts
LOL a swarmn is still a new hive.

If you aren't going to move the hive away for a few weeks i would suggest pointing the entrance a different way than the existing hives. Most people that i have spoken with recomend moving them atleast 2 miles away but the last two i caught i didn't have time to move so i just poointed the entrance 90 degrees to the parent colonies and they stuck around.

Also i put a frame of drawn comb into the swarm from one of the parent colonies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts