Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a swarm behind my hives and Im short on time without having boxes made. Can I put them in a cardboard box? If so How long can they stay in there and do I completely close it up? And I assume I would have to put it in the shade till they are hived??

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
974 Posts
Yes put them in a cardboard box, they will need openings for ventilation, shade would be good, it will be OK for them to fly in and out until you get some wood boxes built. As far as how long can they stay in the cardboard box..........until they decide to leave or the box melts from the weather.

Good luck with them, and we do love pics.

Now go get them bees!!

G3

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I did last year. They stayed about 24 hrs total then decided it wasnt for them...was an awesome site to see them get airborn aagin. They ended up in an Oak behind my house iin the woods. They are still there too.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I got them in a medium super. I think I am going to add two more and get away from deeps. I have pics Ill post probably tomorrow. It was cool as Ive never seen a swarm in real life. It was a fun experience for sure. So last year I started with two hives and so far this year I have 4. I split one hive earlier this month.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I hope they stay for you, sounds like you are getting off to a good start.

Swarms are the best thing to watch and catch, just too much fun playing with bugs.

G3

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you got it figured out.
I don't know about that, I stress way to much and over think and probably make problems worse off than they are. Oh well it is still fun and I hope they do stay with me. I think 4 is all I want but I'm sure it will creep up but NO MORE THAN 10. haha See its already went up. I'm just hoping for my first honey crop this year and cant wait!! Again thanks for the replies and Ill post pictures tomorrow and maybe a video if I can get it converted right from my cannon (.mov) to a window based program (.wmv). We will see! Thanks

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
a regular (non-waxed) cardboard box with vent holes poked or slits cut for ventialtion is a bad idea, the bees will chew their way out of the holes or slits in about 4 hours, dont ask how I know this, but I will give you one guess...experience is such a great teacher especially in the car at 70mph. :D

·
Registered
974 Posts
peacekeeper I can just see it now :lpf::lpf::lpf::lpf:

I got a good laugh out of that. It brings back memories when I use to haul hives in the back seat of the car and trunk.

Good times!!!

G3

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Peacekeeper I had a good laugh too. I could only imagine!!! hahahaha I woul dnot be happy during that at all but it would be funny to talk about it later!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Before I bought my tundra I hauled some packages in my Highlander. Well none got out but, they seem to have had some hitch hikers I did not notice.

Needless to say thank god for power windows and sun roofs they took the sting out of the ride home when I realized they had introduced extra friends into my car.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The old car I had was a plymouth fury III, had vent windows on the side, have to keep all windows down and the vents open. That way there was enough air moving to keep the bees off of you, it was the red lights and stop signs I hated. Yes I was seen going through town wearing a veil and the smoker sitting in the front seat doing its thing also :scratch: <-----I did get some of these looks as I went by. Now that I think about it I bet it looked like a Cheech & Chong movie clip with the smoke coming out of the inside of the car.

What a teenager will do to play in a box of bugs:D

·
Registered
974 Posts
Nice looking swarm and glad you got them put up!!

I am still patiently waiting for the first one to show up.

G3

1 - 14 of 14 Posts