Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a strange thing happen, picked up a swarm last Saturday. Put a frame of eggs and open larva to try and hold them. Lady told me they had been in the tree i got them from about 3 days. Checked on them on Wednesday and they had drawn 3 frames of comb, but also had started 2 queen cells on the frame of brood i gave them. Checked on them yesterday and now i have laying workers. Most cells have multiple eggs in them some look like they have 5 or more eggs in them. Queen cells are still there and being attended to. My question is what do i do?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I bet it's either an old queen that was starting to relay and was getting back into gear or a new bread virgin. I bet an older queen though. They are probably superceding her with those cells. I have three swarms superceding their queens now. Brand new swarm catches too. They let her lay enough to get started and they are getting rid of her. You placing a frame of eggs just gave them a head start on the process. That's my guess anyway.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Common occurrence with swarms. Just wait and see what happens. Sometimes, I imagine they swarm with an old queen. It's not the queen that decides to swarm, it's the workers. So, they take whatever queen they have at the moment and leave.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts