Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a small swarm yesterday from the yard of a local homeowner. Unfortunately, the day before, they had sprayed the ball with soapy water. When I got there, there were dead bees everywhere with a live ball laying in the dirt. I scooped up the remaining ball, brought it home and introduced it into a hive box. Most of them marched in but a small group remained clustered around what turned out to be a dead queen. I come out this morning to check them and they all were outside again clustered around the dead queen. I figure there is no way to save them as a viable hive. My question is; How long will they hang around the dead queen?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Couldn't you put the dead queen in the box plus give them a frame with eggs and young brood...or a mated Queen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normally that would be an option. Only problem is someone took upon themselves the position of "Resident Bee Nazi" and poisoned my two hives about 2 months ago. Where I live the city ordinances make it impossible to legally keep bees. At this point I wanted to start again so I was out to catch a swarm.

I was just curious as to how long the bees will stay with a dead queen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.