Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given my old age I am no longer able to place swarm traps up onto tree. I have several hives without bees with one deep on hive stands but they are on the ground.
I do use Swarm Commander.Has anyone else trapped swarms on the ground versus elevated in a tree. It seems somewhat logical as all of my hives are on the ground. I placed a few of them in an open area of about 3/4's of an acre to make them visible.

·
Registered
462 Posts
While unelevated is not an ideal location for bees to chose on their own accord, I think it is always worth putting out anything and everything that can be used as a swarm trap anywhere you can. Might not be ideal, but hey, its better than not making an attempt at all.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Don't be concerned with raising them up - that is really a part myth, a part theft deterrent IMO.
As long the ground level trap is safe from theft/vandalizing - I'd do it and not care much.

One thing I do lately - I place a scent lure as high as I can just above my traps - I do so to spread the scent better and farther away.
As long as bees can find your traps and get to them easily enough, that all that is needed for the bees to evaluate your traps.
After that is up to the bees - take it or move along - you've done your part.

So far this year I trapped 2 swarms directly into the ground standing hives.
That makes it 40% ground level catch.
Other 3 swarms (60%) are caught on the porch - a very convenient location to use and not about climbing the trees either.

Here is a good demo of exactly that:
https://www.beesource.com/forums/sh...pping-2020-success-rate&p=1811651#post1811651

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
For what its worth, I have only caught 2 swarms and both were 5' or less from the ground. I saw Greg's post referred to above and it proves the point.
I am "old" and not in the best shape either. I also do not really care much if I catch a swarm, but like to be in the game so I place swarm traps where they are easy for me to observe and to retrieve. I know they aren't in the ideal location, but I am under no pressure to catch one but can still have some fun with it. J

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
> Has anyone else trapped swarms on the ground versus elevated in a tree.

I place all my traps while standing on the ground. Hive stands work great. I have never put one in a tree.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
I have several times caught swarms in a dead outs, right on the stand.
once i placed a stack of supers in front of the garage to use the next day and at 4:30 a swarm moved in so you can catch at lower levels.
give it a try

GG

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here in upstate New York swarm trapping season seems to be over. I always catch a few and did this year. My personal rule is that swarm trapping should be easy and fun. Anything like placing traps high in a tree is just not worth it. The right size and leaving open space with starter strips and some funky old comb and lemon grass oil seems to be the secret. The location can be tested just by putting some old comb at a spot and see if any bees even visit. If they do then that spot has bees nearby and probably a decent choice. I stay away from other people’s apiaries because I can’t trust disease and mite policies by others. I use these bees to add genetic variation to splits. Good luck next year as late season swarms are not always worth the trouble overwintering.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I have posted recently on other threads regarding the success of my ground based swarm traps. 2 swarms, one trap. Make sure they are somewhat shaded. Have had zero luck with traps in full sun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts