Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I live in the middle of Missouri. This is my second summer of bee keeping coming up. Last year I started with 2 packages and I did 2 cutouts. This year I have 2 more packages and 3 queens coming in early April from Honey Hive Farms. My question for you beekeepers, especially ones in or near Missouri is when do you put out swarm traps. I know this is weather dependent but what would the approximate date be. I have 10 swarm traps and I am building more.

Thanks for any info

Dave the fire guy

·
Registered
214 Posts
I live in southern Missouri and hope to have mine out by the middle of April. I have seen swarms here the last week of April. If we are having really good weather I may go earlier. I know one local beek already starting to put them out. The longer they are out, the more times you will have to check them and replace the lemongrass oil if you use it as an attractant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My swarm traps are 5 frame nuc style. I have old brood comb from the 2 cuts outs that I did last year. I plan on putting 1 frame of old brood comb and lemon grass oil in each box. Last year I had a box on a tree that I tried to trap out. The bees left the tree but did not go in my box but the wax moths did.

Dave the fire guy

·
Registered
37 Posts
I live in Columbia--so really close to you. I keep an ongoing blog of my bee activity and checked it tonight. I show that I caught swarms last year in mid-May and in 2012 starting in late April and into May. When you put them out depends upon the weather and also how your bees are doing. I always watch mine and when the hive is really in full swing--bringing in pollen, making comb, etc., I know it is time to set out the traps. Basically I would start looking for sites to put them in early April and if the weather is cooperating, then get them out towards the middle of April. Of course this year, I am beginning to think it will never get warm --and if so, then things will be happening later than previous years. I am terrified that this latest cold spell killed my bees. I lost one already and am dreading the thought of having to clean up more dead-outs. Sigh......

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Gailmo, I live just south of Boonville so we are only about 30 miles apart. I lost a hive between the end of Dec. and early Feb. They were doing fine when I checked in Dec. It looked like they starved out because the were on brood with 5 to 6 frames of honey and pollen 3 inches above them. I really hope my remaining hives make it through this cold snap.

Dave the fire guy

·
Registered
737 Posts
I am south of you and I had my first swarm call April 7 last year.
I am just about finished building equipment for 20 new hives and then starting on 30 swarm traps.
I already have spots picked out for half of them.
25 will be up on April 1 2014.
Good luck.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts