Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are other bees and wasps attracted to swarm traps? I am a total newbie but am gonna put out a 5 frame nuc with lemongrass oil and see what happens. I've been seeing a lot of honeybees but also a lot of wasps, bumblebees and yellow jackets. I don't want them!

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Bumblebees nest in much smaller volumes. Terrestrial honeybees prefer material like rat nexts. Yellowjackets are actually a wasp and both prefer spaces different different from honey bees. They are probably looking for food.

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
I've read that bumblebee boxes can be baited with mouse nests/mouse urine. Would lemon grass oil also work for bumble bees? Or, is there something else that will also work as bait without the mice involved?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bumping this one up since I was hoping for more answers. Again, will any other bees or wasps take up residence in a swarm trap? I have been seeing all checking out my nuc trap and don't want them to make it their home.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've had the occasional visitors, but never had them move in. I've even seen the occasional bumble go into a full healthy hive too. Must be something about the smell. He came back out after about 15 seconds! I'm going to guess the bumbles, hornets, wasps etc might "find a new home" or create a new colony at a certain time of year, but I'm not to sure they will move into a swarm trap, not that if it wouldn't happen, I would be surprised. I just don't think a swarm trap sized container is ideal. Now big ugly nasty spiders are another thing!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
here in western KY the paper wasps will nest in LITERALLY anything. i've had them nest behind the gas door on my daily driver! bumblebees here particularly like bird houses. just wear your veil if you check-but you should be able to see trafic in and out from whatever lives there. good luck,mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts