Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Jeff:A swarm trap is a box that you place a catch lure in.A catch lure is a vial with the sent of Nasonov pheremone is released by workerbee's.most major bee suppy places sell the lure.Put them up about 8-9 feet& They work good if you have bee's in your area.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mark:

You said put them up about 8-9 feet. What? The box with the pheremone in it? Just curious how you do that.

Is this what everyone else does? I would love to catch a couple of swarms this spring.

Thanks

·
Registered
348 Posts
The swarms will sometimes settle into housekeeping in old undisturbed hives with drawn comb. I've seen them go into some of the nastiest old comb. It was inside some old boxes we had culled out of the operation. No lure or anything. I've seen swarms totally ignore the lure and fly off too. Swarms are a gamble for sure.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do you use these in the spring as a safety for your own hives. If so how far away/close do you put these?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hang them in tree's side's of building's & ect,box & all. studies was made <ABJ may 2004 pg.372 of traps being placed at 3,9,12 ft,the traps caught swarms at all these hights,but the bees preferred traps at 9 ft>,
I've personally hung traps over the last several years & have alot better luck with them about that height.
Don't happen often,But I hung a trap one day in a man's back yard.As I was about to leave me & him was standing next to my truck talking & I just happen to look over at the trap & a swarm was landing on it.HEHE,Sure did make look like I knew what I was doing.But as I said that don't happen often.>>>>Mark

·
Registered
848 Posts
Jeff:Sorry about not answering your question above,But yes most of the time I'll place them around my bee yard's during swarming season,But by proper management of the bee's to prevent swarming I don't catch many.sometime though they will swarm I don't care what measure's you take.That is why I like them in my bee yard's.caugth 2 swarm's in 1 day, year before last in a bee yard.>>>>Mark

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yes,I've got them in empty box's with nothing but the lure.But I do like to put a frame in so they will have a place to start to work as soon as they get in.If you cannot check them everyday it wouldn't hurt to put in 2-3 frames of foundation,A swarm can build wax FAST.>>>>Mark

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've placed them in my bee yard's,But found out that if you can place them 200 -300 yd's out of your yard IMO,it seem's that I have better luck.even with my own swarms.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I intend to put out a few traps this year, but am wondering when the swarm season starts here in central Indiana.
Thanks
Barry
Indianapolis

·
Registered
348 Posts
Barry, I'm just west of you out here in Hendricks County. I start getting calls around the 15th of May thru June. Although the ones in late June I don't bother with unless it is real big.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I prefer old well used hive boxes or nucs, but I've used the wax coated MDA splitters from Dadant and the plastic MDA splitters from MDA. It's more about location. Get the right location and you'll usually get a swarm year after year. Get a bad one and you may never get one.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Last year 2 empty hives were occupied by swarms...unbeknownst to anyone at the time. This year I'll leave a regular hive out with some drawn comb...also...I'm trying something cheap. I painted up a copier paper box with latex extrior housepaint and drilled a 1-1/4 inch hole in it. I'll put some old comb in it along with some lemongrass oil and hang it 8 or 9 feet from the ground. I intend to make several more of these. Doesn't cost anything so I can afford to increase my odds of a catch by making a bunch of them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts