Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Just wondering, is it time to bring my Swarm Traps back to the house, here in South Louisiana?

So far from the five out, not a single swarm caught.

It's my first attempt this year at attracting bee's and I know they may have been placed in the wrong places but......
just wondering if swarm season is over for my area?:scratch:

Thanks

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I never bring my in. I leave them out all year.

Entrance is reduced and I rarely ever get a mouse in any of them. Using old dark brood comb I never have a problem with wax moths, so, I just leave them out.

cchoganjr

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I have been bringing them in, need the combs for the catches. But still got one filled 6/19.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have been pulling mine down. I use them for overwinter nucs and I find better acceptance with the ‘bee smell’. One I just went out and almost pulled down was just humming. No pollen going in though so I went back on Monday. I am too lazy to get up at 5 am and move it home so I put some foundation in it (expecting to have a swarm in it). I had a cup of bees on the old frame and they seemed to be pulling down and taking the wax? I got 3 traps this year and two more (6 miles apart) that are doing this odd behavior.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
10-69 on that...I'll leave them out and refresh as I have been:}Thanks
There is a definite season that bait traps get filled and leaving them out after it ends only exposes them to wax moth damage and warping of any wax foundation in them. I just serviced two dead hive deeps yesterday that had been filed and they had substantial moth damage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts