Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do/have any of you placed swarm traps in trees in an area that you do not know of any beekeeper's hives or feral bees in a 1-5 mile range? I will be placing some of my traps in an area that I am just, "hoping" that there will be bees around to find the traps and I am wondering if I even have a decent chance of getting a swarm. Thanks, juzzer

·
Registered
60 Posts
I guess I would have to wonder if you ever see any bees in the area. If you have seen them foraging in the area on trees, flowers, etc., then you probably have a pretty good chance. The have to come from somewhere.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I hang them wherever I can. Friends, family...etc. i do it without any knowledge of bees in the area and just hope for the best. i just use my normal deep boxes, or nuc boxes and collect them in the fall if i don't get notice that bees have moved in.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Do/have any of you placed swarm traps in trees in an area that you do not know of any beekeeper's hives or feral bees in a 1-5 mile range?

The bees I really want are the ferals. Yes I do set traps where there are no beekeepers I know of, I would prefer it.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Best bet is to find old wood stands. Bigger, hollow trees that haven't been logged off is a good start. Another tip.... old homes that aren't "well maintaned" in older cities can house feral hives for years. About 40% of our swarm calls are from cities.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Do/have any of you placed swarm traps in trees in an area that you do not know of any beekeeper's hives or feral bees in a 1-5 mile range? I will be placing some of my traps in an area that I am just, "hoping" that there will be bees around to find the traps and I am wondering if I even have a decent chance of getting a swarm. Thanks, juzzer
What I do if I'm not sure there are bees in the neighborhood is put out a little honey and check on it a little later. Usually if there are ferals around they will find it. Some times it can take a couple days depending on weather and such.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts