Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am thinking about setting a swarm trap. I see in other threads, and videos that people only really get about a 50% success rate. These people also do all the stuff like lemon grass oil, and drawn comb. If I'm only setting one trap, what do you think my odds are of getting a swarm by just sticking an 8 frame deep in a tree? Would taking out 4 outside frames (2 on each side) work better than having all 8? Thanks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Lots of people use old deeps as swarm traps. An old, used box is an attractant by itself with the propolis and wax and general beehive smells. I would use a frame with old brood comb, and have empty frames on either side of that. Bees like the open space inside a cavity, as opposed to a box filled with frames and comb...according to folks on the internet.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I use one frame of brood comb and empty frames with fishing line on either side of it.
I use swarm commander in it as well and my success rate is better than 50 percent. I used 8 traps last year and caught 14 swarms.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Odd's aren't so great without an attractant.

Still possible, if it's far enough away from the apiary, but your odds go up with an attractant.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, you say it needs to be far away from my other hive? How far are we talking?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ok, you say it needs to be far away from my other hive? How far are we talking?
That’s a good question and one that will generate a lot of debate. You will get plenty of opinions. Start at 30 feet and go up from there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use one frame of brood comb and empty frames with fishing line on either side of it.
I use swarm commander in it as well and my success rate is better than 50 percent. I used 8 traps last year and caught 14 swarms.
By that you mean only three frames right?

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
I can share that my experience with swarm trapping, even at 20 feet up in height with an attractant AND the correct size etc, was pathetic.

Should be well beyond shouting distance of the apiary.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. I could put it a couple hundred yards away in a woods. Does it matter if the area the trap is in is dense in trees and such? A normal bee wouldn't be back there cause there's barely any flowers but would scouts?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hmmm. I could put it a couple hundred yards away in a woods. Does it matter if the area the trap is in is dense in trees and such? A normal bee wouldn't be back there cause there's barely any flowers but would scouts?
I would put it on the wood line and not in the woods. You can also spray trees with anise oil and see if any bees respond.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I can share that my experience with swarm trapping, even at 20 feet up in height with an attractant AND the correct size etc, was pathetic.

Should be well beyond shouting distance of the apiary.
No way I would put one at 20 feet. Six feet is plenty high.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I was out walking my woods a week or two back, I had bees checking things out. A couple of them landed on me. I had a swarm take up residence in a densely wooded area. I couldn't find them, but I could smell them. Their location wasn't revealed until I had a fat cable run for high-speed broadband and the cutting and clearing let me locate the tree. (They didn't make it.)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would think it depends on the other real estate available to them. Like, if you put one on the dirt, and one ten foot up, they're going to choose the one ten foot up. It makes sense so there's less chance of bears or anything getting them. I have an apple tree that sort of goes up, side ways, then up again so I'll put the trap in a tractor bucket, lift it up, then climb up there and get it all set. It's a good 100+ foot from my hive.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wait, so if I trap a swarm, move the hive, there won't be any problem with them not knowing where they are and stuff? Like when you move an establish colony?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Remember, you've got to retrieve that box and it will be full of bees. You might want to tie a rope around it so you can lower it from the ground, at night when all the bees are home. I put mine head high so I can reach it to take it down. Also, there are usually a few girls hanging out on the outside of the box. Just spray them with a little water, they will think it's raining and move inside so you can close the door.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would think it depends on the other real estate available to them. Like, if you put one on the dirt, and one ten foot up, they're going to choose the one ten foot up. It makes sense so there's less chance of bears or anything getting them. I have an apple tree that sort of goes up, side ways, then up again so I'll put the trap in a tractor bucket, lift it up, then climb up there and get it all set. It's a good 100+ foot from my hive.
No one said set them on dirt. If you want to compare, compare 6 ft to 10 ft. You would be hard pressed to notice a difference.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Wait, so if I trap a swarm, move the hive, there won't be any problem with them not knowing where they are and stuff? Like when you move an establish colony?
If you get to them on the same day, in the evening, it shouldn't be a problem because they are generally busy inside- they arrived with nectar and aren't foraging immediately.

If they have been there a while and have oriented on the location, it might be an issue.

If I don't get to them on the same day and they have oriented on the location, and I can't/don't want to leave them where they are then I move them a couple of feet every day until they are where I want them.

@Waterbug mentioned moving a trapped swarm about 50' (in another thread). He might have something useful to say about it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts