Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am already using LGO in my swarm traps. I would like to use Queen Mandibular Pheremone (QMP) as well, but I am getting conflicting info. Some recommend using them together, others recommend using either but not both at the same time in the same trap. Why shouldn't I use QMP and LGO together? I need evidence to back this up - at least experience, data/research is better.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Honestly, I doubt either affect your chances of catching a swarm that much.... I'm a firm believer it's more about location, location, and the most important part, location. Swarm traps in healthy bee populated areas catch bees, swarm traps around no bees make nice decorations....

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I agree with JRG13. Old brood comb in an old used box and location are everything. I rarely use LGO anymore. You really don't need it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Honestly, I doubt either affect your chances of catching a swarm that much.... I'm a firm believer it's more about location, location, and the most important part, location. Swarm traps in healthy bee populated areas catch bees, swarm traps around no bees make nice decorations....
Don't forget location!!!! Jk

I only use LGO and I put up 9 traps the only one I got a hit on so far is the one next to a graveyard and the freeway go figure... I put the others along trails and forest areas with lots of pollination possibilities and water sources but nothing yet... I even found a feral hive about 200 yards from one of my traps so I know it's a good bee area.... Honestly I comes down to luck I think... Right place and right timing...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm curious why would it lessen effectiveness?
Notice I carefully used the qualifier, "in my experience"
I can't explain why, the results were less. They are different approaches, to attraction.
I can remember a couple times that both were used, and swarm was captured, so it does happen.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Notice I carefully used the qualifier, "in my experience"
I can't explain why, the results were less. They are different approaches, to attraction.
I can remember a couple times that both were used, and swarm was captured, so it does happen.
Good to know. Was just curious cause this was the second time I heard it. I couldn't come up with a good theory of why it would be less effective, but I guess i'll just have to do some testing myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts