Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had some swarm traps out and have had no success. There were a lot of swarms this season in this area, so I think I may have been doing something wrong. I have a couple of questions. Is there a particular size that seems to be most effective? I made them with just one deep with some some empty frames and some with wax foundation. I am thnking about adding a medium. Do you think that will be right, or should I use two? I put lemongrass oil inside and on the landing board. Also, is it beneficial to put a pollen patty in a trap? Does that seem to attract bees?

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
The pollen patty will attract plenty of insects but not more bees. If you can get one of the pheremone lures or a dead queen to squish, they will come! Great reason to save old queens in alcohol. I always felt a loss when requeening. Thanks to someone on the forum the old girl has a purpose now.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Old used comb is supposed to be just about as alluring as lemongrass oil. Better than empty frames or unbuilt foundation. If you have any frames with old (empty) comb, put one or two in along with the LG oil. :)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
It's kind of like fishing. Somedays they're biting like crazy, the next day nothing is biting and alternative baits don't help.

I'd just keep the traps up, keep watching them. I'd also add some other traps in other places, and if you build enough traps, but a couple in the same location as opposed to just one.

Grant
Jackson, MO http://www.swarmtrapping.homestead.com

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. In answer to a question, I did see some scouts monitoring two of the traps a couple of weeks ago. I would add old comb frames if I had any. I have only had my first hive since June and have not gotten any extra comb frames. I will continue as I have been doing and maybe put out another trap or two. Thanks again.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've taken down quite a few swarms in my neighborhood. So far, here I have had no luck with swarm traps here and that's using LGO. However I do have a swarm trap at my Dad's house as well as 3 hives. I was taking a cluster off a tree on Friday and my Dad knew about it, so when he called me and jokingly said "help me, help me, I have a swarm" I thought he was mocking me for how busy I was this last week. He informed me that "I really do have a swarm, your trap actually worked!" Guess I'll need to plan on going to his house tomorrow AM. Fishing seems to be exactly what it is like.

Craig

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was skeptical of swarm traps, but thought I would try this year anyway.

On Wednesday I set out 6 swarm traps (Nuc boxes with one frame, and Lure)

Today I hive my first swarm that was in one of the swarm traps.

Think I will try this a little more.

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts