Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Is it absolutely necessary to have a swarm trap with drawn comb present? I'm thinking of building one, but don't have any drawn comb available at the moment.

Registered
Is it absolutely necessary to have a swarm trap with drawn comb present? I'm thinking of building one, but don't have any drawn comb available at the moment.
My first time trapping all I had were mini top bar hives with a piece of string drizzled with bees wax for comb guides. I rubbed the inside of the trap with the same wax and put a few drops of LGO at the entrance. I caught two swarms with 5 traps. One of the biggest factors is location. There has to be bees around, I put out a bit of honey on plastic lids from dairy containers and spread them around the area where I think it looks good. I wait a hour or so then go back and check to see if bees have found the honey. There are many threads on B.S. about location do a search and you will find lots of info.
Colino

Registered
when I make traps, I do three things . Before I close up the front, I turn upside down, and take a torch, and heat a section in the middle of the roof, sprinkle some cappings I saved and melt it on that heated section. Then I affix a section of actual comb. I also spread with q-tips lemon gras oil. And last I through some slum-gum from my solar wax method in, and then seal.

Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
>Is it absolutely necessary to have a swarm trap with drawn comb present?

No.

>I'm thinking of building one, but don't have any drawn comb available at the moment.

The Lemongrass Essential Oil is the most important thing...

Registered
Use small pieces of comb or burr comb if you have it.

The first year I started trapping I had very little comb to use. I set out some traps with just wax starter strips. I don't think I caught any with those traps. but I did catch swarms with small pieces of brood comb as small as 2" x 2". Every trap I have ever set has had LGO.

The more traps you set the more you will catch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts