Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some scrap OSB. I'd love to make some swarm traps, but I'm afraid the scent might dissuade them. Will lemongrass cover any other scents they may not like? Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
11,162 Posts
Bees will build hives inside building [house] walls that have OSB inside. It seems unlikely that OSB traps will pose a problem.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I caught a swarm last year in a box that was pine sides, but an OSB top and bottom. if I had the scraps on hand, I'd use them without worrying over it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have built many swarm traps from OSB with no adverse effects. ( with the exception that it doesn't last as long as regular lumber unless it is painted.)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I built about 20 swarm traps last year, 5 frame from osb. Caught 16-17 swarms in these boxes. I will be putting them out again this year. All are still in good shape except one which was torn down and destroyed by a storm. No problem with osb. This winter I decided to paint them, so now I will see if they work as well painted.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I remember reading a thread several months ago from someone who had installed a package into a homemade hive. The bees would abscond and he'd catch them and put them back in. Then they'd abscond again and he'd catch them again. This happened several times until people started suggesting the bees didn't like the wood he'd used to construct the hive. I thought I'd check to see if that's a common problem. Doesn't sound like it is. Thanks again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had trouble about 3 years ago I had 3 different swarms leave out of a brand new hive, same hive body, bottom board and lid never did figuar out what the problem was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts