Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put up a total of 9 traps this season and lost 3. One was destroyed about a month ago and I am guessing kids. The trap was completely smashed and laying on the ground but they left the frames alone. I went to check 2 of my traps that are far from home today and one was gone and the other had been opened, all the frames removed and sealed back up. It's annoying that we do all the work and some idiot steals for fun or for the bees that we trapped. On a side note I still caught a total of 4 swarms in the other traps so it was still good experience.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm glad you caught some swarms. My first experience with bees was this year and after I bought my hives and frames I couldn't afford bees and probably was to late anyways with most sold out.

Anyway I set up a box on a corner post and they just came 3 swarms in a row ;)

As far as the theft etc... Maybe you could try some private land owners?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had good luck this year but today I went to pick up a swarm near my home in a trap that I left so the bees could build population, it had been a small after swarm, I found it on the ground and away from the tree trunk, looked like kids had just knocked it off the tree and ran, it was completely filled with comb, and was pretty much useless because it had been there for awhile and most of the bees were gone. Almost makes me want to stop giving the people in my neighborhood all that free honey.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had good luck this year but today I went to pick up a swarm near my home in a trap that I left so the bees could build population, it had been a small after swarm, I found it on the ground and away from the tree trunk, looked like kids had just knocked it off the tree and ran, it was completely filled with comb, and was pretty much useless because it had been there for awhile and most of the bees were gone. Almost makes me want to stop giving the people in my neighborhood all that free honey.
I agree Stan and I can forgive kids for being kids we were all dumb when we were young... The thieves irrate me more because I am guessing that is adult ...

·
Registered
66 Posts
How great is that...i wish i had ur luck. I own 30+ acres and have had hive set out empty for month nothing. I have 2 hives i just started last yr lost hive and bought another this yr only could afford 1 pkg of bees so the other sits empty. They sure are not cheap.. good luck hope all goes well.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Reminds me of an experience my husband and I had while catching Florida Stone Crab. As recreational, we were only allowed 6 pots. I think we had two left by the time the season was over. Seems the commercial guys don't mind eliminating a buoy on an unrecognized marker, though I suppose I should give the benefit of the doubt and say they just were "accidentally run over". Territory is a funny thing...maybe you stepped on some toes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reminds me of an experience my husband and I had while catching Florida Stone Crab. As recreational, we were only allowed 6 pots. I think we had two left by the time the season was over. Seems the commercial guys don't mind eliminating a buoy on an unrecognized marker, though I suppose I should give the benefit of the doubt and say they just were "accidentally run over". Territory is a funny thing...maybe you stepped on some toes.
Good point they were both in the same area..

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I had one knocked down last year by a bear, another was torn down from a tree probably from kids, and I had one this year that was taken down most likely by kids as well, but not really damaged. I secure the tops with screws, so the tops won't come off.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yeah, I just lost one to a beekeeper that left his hive tool in the grass with his name on it. Unfortunately no one yet can tell me who he/she is etc... Took the swarm with my frames, left my box and ropes. The colony from the same location last year was hotter than heck, so I'm hoping they take after him!! You get what you sow in my mind!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts