Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have set out some swarm traps this year and have several more that I would like to put out. What should be the minimum amount of distance between them and how affective can they be. I do not know of any feral colonies in the area, but at the same time, I do not know of any other people who keep bees near me as well.

Is it worth the effort to put out swarm traps or is it just a waste of time?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yes, put them out. There will be local feral bees investigate and possibly move in. I cant think your local vicinity is absolutely void of honey bees. Put some old comb in if you have it, or score some lemon grass essential oil to the hives. Also, you might have some luck getting on some swarm lists and capturing bees.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Howdy, Zane! That's how I've picked up about one swarm a year at our yard here in town. Old frames in a nuc with some lemongrass oil on a cotton pad underneath the cover. I've never used one of those pre-made traps, just a spare nuc & frames.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the traps that I got from mann lake, and have them spread out over several fields about a mile apart.I did buy some lemon grass oil from a health food store. I am on a swarm call list. I have extra hive bodies already set up so that I am prepared for a warm.

The way I mounted my traps was on a plywood backboard and hung up in a tree about 8 feet high

I have seen other bees around my area that are much lighter and more yellow then the ones that I have, but the question that burns in my mind, is (or are) there feral colonies in the area, or is there another beek nearby who has bees?

Is there a public listing of people who keep bees available?

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Separate baits with lemongrass oil by a ten feet or more. Incoming swarms get very confused by closely spaced LGO boxes and divide into several parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I say put them out. I placed a simple plywood 5 frame nuc at a friends house along the tree line next to an open pasture. I caught what appears to be a feral swarm in less than a week using 1 frame of new comb and 4 empty foundationless frames with a few drops of lemongrass oil. They began drawing comb on 3 of the empty frames right away.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I put an old deep with some old dark comb on a old ladder deer stand about 10 feet off the ground with some lemongrass oil sprinkled on the frames and at the entrance and caught a swarm in 4 days. I had the entrance facing to the southeast if that makes a difference. I am really amazed that I even got a swarm at all. This was my first try at this and I recommend that anyone who wants some free bees to give it a try!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've found that I seem to have a higher success rate if I can get the swarm trap into a fruit tree before it blossoms. I don't use the paper-mache type traps, I use the waxed cardboard nuc boxes. I do this for two reasons, first the nuc boxes cost about a 1/3 of the price of a paper-mache trap and secondly they hold 5 deep frames. So when the swarm is installed into a hive body, they just drop right in. Just like installing a nuc.

This is the first year I've tried the lemon grass oil (put them out yesterday). Previously I just used the lures as they're free in my state.

Here's a link to a guide I wrote about catching swarms. Most of the pictures are from a swarm I caught last spring.
http://aabees.org/freebees.aspx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Somebody in the May 2010 issue of Bee Culture in the classified ads section has the 5 frame Scentry traps that were used years ago. I do not know about buying from somebody other than a reputable supplier.... Does anybody know of any place that carries that particular model?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts