Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a few swarm traps which are just boxes that are 1/2 the width of a deep (to accomdate 5 frames). I'm planning on drilling a 1" diameter hole for the entrance. Just curious if I should make any ventilation holes on the opposite side or just leave it with the entrance? Assuming all the action will occur in April and May, and I'll be checking fairly often that I don't have to really worry about this....but I'd like some reassuances from all of you.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I believe one hole will be fine, but I think your timing is a bit early. Here in Hudson WI I had a swarm 2008, and several in 2009, all from my own hives and they issued out in the first week of June. Adrian.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Personally I think it would be a good idea to put a small hole at the other end and cover it with 1/8" mesh wire. This will allow some ventilation in your swarm box which will in turn allow the "swarm lure" to flow out of the box. I drill a 1/2" hole on the opposite end of the entrance hole. Also, I cover the entrance hole with 1/2" mesh wire (and staple it in place) to keep out the birds and squirrels. Good luck...

·
Registered
647 Posts
You can put vent holes in if you want i dont think it really matters. I set mine up ahead of time with drawn comb and staple a 2 X 2 X 1/8 square of wire over the enterance to keep mice out until I hang them. When I hang them I simply pop the top staples and fold this pc of wire down. It forms a small landing strip. When they make a catch simply bend it back up, staple shut and take them home. For lure some lemon grass on a pc of cotton or cloth pushed through the hole after hanging

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I'm making a few swarm traps which are just boxes that are 1/2 the width of a deep (to accomdate 5 frames). I'm planning on drilling a 1" diameter hole for the entrance. Just curious if I should make any ventilation holes on the opposite side or just leave it with the entrance? Assuming all the action will occur in April and May, and I'll be checking fairly often that I don't have to really worry about this....but I'd like some reassuances from all of you.

Thanks.
a full deep is the optimal vollume for swarm trapping,and is interchangeable with your other equipment. good luck,mike

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I've yet to have any luck with a full deep as a swarm trap. I will keep trying though as it would be a huge swarm to catch.

I've had much better luck with 5 frame deep nucs. I cut the opening (1 1/2" x 3/8") at the bottom of the nuc front where it connects to the bottom board. At those dimensions birds and critters can't fit in there and don't seem interested in enlarging the hole because of the perching and nawing angles.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
a full deep is the optimal vollume for swarm trapping,and is interchangeable with your other equipment. good luck,mike
i saw some research that indicated a full deep (or the equivilent vollume-2 mediums) to be more attractive to swarms. that said, all beekeeping is local, so your results may vary. good luck,mike

·
Registered
869 Posts
I bought a bottle of lemongrass oil last week, but figured I would ask. Heck, if I land only one swarm that's not from my hive, it will be worth it. I will put it out near my hives, just in case too though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Batman,
I'm planning on putting one frame of wax comb plus 4 frames of foundation (wax coated) in there, along with a small tube of Nasonov pheromone (from Dadant) and a little lemongrass oil. This will be my first attempt this year so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had planned on building 5 frame swarm traps today, but it's snowing and I can't make it to my wood shop. Well, I don't want to attempt to drive there...people in Georgia loose their minds when it snows. Maybe tomorrow. I'm using the plans for the Yankee Beekeeper's 5 frame nuc box from BS and will use the 1 1/2 x 3/8 opening suggested. Making them out of 3/4 plywood. I have some swarm lure from last year that's been in the freezer, and a fresh bottle of LGO. Also have some wax and slumgum I'm thinking of spreading on frames/foundation and inside nucs. Have thought about trading out some old dark comb from my hives, but when I checked yesterday, the girls were filling them with pollen and nectar....seems wrong to take that while they are building up. This is my first go too at "bee fishing" but I'm really excited to give it a try. Wish yall lots of luck with it and will be interested to hear how everyone does.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mixofsam-
Yeah this will be my first year of fishing too. I hope to retain any swarms that come out of my hives, but I'm sure that's what most of us do try. I do have a bottle of LGO to put on some drawn out frames, I also have 3 swarm traps that I will try 1 at each location I have a hives at. I'll be curious to see which, if any, have success. Has anyone tried both and gotten different results? I realize we are talking about insects and they are not predictable, but just wondering.

Craig

·
Registered
81 Posts
;)
I bought a bottle of lemongrass oil last week, but figured I would ask. Heck, if I land only one swarm that's not from my hive, it will be worth it. I will put it out near my hives, just in case too though.
If you get one from your own hive, you will be that much happier that you got it and not the neighbour.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I will be putting out swarm traps this spring (8-frame medium size, will try one and two boxes). I don't have any old comb and will be putting in foundationless frames. My question: Would it be beneficial to include one or two PF-120 frames? I will be using lure, of course.

Thanks,
Cy Brewster

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You don't have any old comb? I this your first year 2010? If not, the steal 1 empty brood frame early before the queen starts laying in that area and replace it with foundation or foundationless frame.

Use that 1 brood comb in the trap. From everything I have read on this forum, brood comb is the best lure bar none.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
we use 5 frame nucs w/wired frames, frames have a triangle wedge attached to the top bar that we rub heavily w/beeswax. Bees move in, we wait a few days then move nuc to beeyard where they continue to build foundationless frames and are transferred to 8 frame hives when ready. Once moved from capture location we just throw another nuc set up the same way in place of the one they moved into...saves us having to transfer them to another box and we get the foundationless frames to work into our system. We use both LGO and the pheremone swarm lures.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts